Sunday 24 August 2014

Double Duty

In a bid to stretch the budget ever further I've been looking at ways at making some of my bits of kitchen kit work harder for me. I call this double duty. I have a teensy kitchen [which I am loathe to spend any more time in than is needed] so space is at a premium. Any gadget that is a one trick pony and clutters up my cupboards has long since been culled and sent off to a new home where it will be loved and appreciated [freecycle is my saviour in these instances]

The first "victim" to attract my beady eye has been my slow cooker. Now I am possibly going to be drummed out of the school of frugality for the next statement but I must admit that I was a bit disappointed when I first purchased one of these beasts. Back then I had become the main breadwinner [Mr GBT had been made redundant] and I was working full time so frankly I had little spare time and was bone tired. It needed as much prep as any other casserole and I was only able to use it at the weekend. The early attempts all turned out stews of varying success but I am glad to say things have greatly improved since I have found lots of different tasting recipes to my liking. To make it work harder for me and now having the time to experiment more I've become a bit more adventurous. Beyond making casseroles, stocks and soups I have now mastered lemon curd and apple butter and cooked some reduced price duck legs in there [for this you need to rub Chinese 5 spice and salt into them and then add a dash of soy sauce. Cook on low for 6-7 hours on low]

Other ideas I've read but have yet to try are bread. Recipe here http://www.giventodistractingothers.co.uk/2013/08/slow-cooker-bread.html and meringue. For this the cooker was lined with parchment paper in the middle and up the sides.

More ideas for you to try here if you are so inclined!
http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2013/07/uses-for-crock-pots.html

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...