Friday 2 October 2015

No Sloe Woes


Well what's a gal to do when she has an unopened bottle of gin...why one goes foraging of course. A favourite free past time of those with a naturally gnat bottomed disposition so now one has the makings of sloe gin.

I only make this every few years as we don't get through it all that fast but this year we are due a top up. I shall be using the recipe from here http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sloegin_7722 There is no need to prick the skins- if you freeze them the berries break down of their own accord and you can process them at your leisure.

Being a lover of all things left over and inspired by the champagne jelly recently made on The Great British Bake Off I believed this week that I had come up with an original idea for making sloe gin jelly. My trusted friend Google sadly informed me that some varmit had got there first but I am inspired to try it out so that's been added to the ever ending list. This recipe looks just the ticket http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/6387833/Sloe-berry-recipe-sloe-gin-jelly-with-homemade-clotted-cream.html

Finally there's no need to sling the gin infused berries when they've done their job- they can be utilised further to make slider http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jun/06/how-make-slider-sloe-cider

Well best get on with doing some of these things rather than just talking about them!

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...