Sunday 4 December 2016

Watches

I was in a local jewellers recently [not a place I'm usually found it has to be said] when a young chap wandered in. Cheerily he greeted all the staff and then told them excitedly about the latest watches he'd bought. It was evident from the exchange that they all know him well.

Once he'd gone I asked the lady helping me if he collected watches because I was sure I'd seen him a few months ago in a charity shop asking if they'd had any new ones in. She smiled and said he comes in every morning at the same time to see them all. He buys all his batteries from them and always likes to show them his latest acquisitions. He often gets them a little gift too. She said that they always enjoy his visits, but it can be awkward sometimes because some customers show their disapproval at the brief interruption. I just quietly explained that I recognised the behaviour immediately from my own son as a child with the all consuming hobbies, rigid routines and lack of social awareness. This will never change for this young man, but I am glad that he has found a place where he is treated with kindness and understanding. I've met many people in life who I can't abide [and vice versa], but I guess this reminded me that it doesn't mean that I don't have a choice whether to behave badly towards them or not....a little bit of kindness can go a long way.

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Aloicious Did Next

 After laying low for a few months Horsham's spoof artist Aloicious Shaftspole has been up to his tricks again. A 'what three words&...