Wednesday 13 September 2017

Cute as a button


A few button related gleanings from t'internet.

Button is derived from the French "bouton" meaning bud or knob. They've been with us a long time with shell examples found 5000 years ago from the Indus Valley Civilisation. It's thought that they were used for ornamentation rather than for fixing garments in position. The theory goes that the buttonhole is down to the Crusaders bringing the idea back to Europe from the Middle East in the 13th century.

Buttons are measured in lignes which is abbreviated to L. 40 lignes is equivalent to 1 inch.

Not everyone is keen on the humble old button. It will come as no great surprise to learn that the Puritans condemned them as sinful. They are regarded as an outward sign of pride by the Amish so their use of them is sparing and they tend to favour pins over them. Those who are phobic about them are suffers of koumpounophobia.

Men's clothes traditionally button down the left side as men were expected to dress themselves whereas women of means were dressed by servants facing them which is why they are on the right side. Button down collars were worn to stop them flapping up in the face when horse riding.

As for the button necklace...well that might just have come home with me after my weekend charity shop trawl. A little lovely for £2.

Arilx

7 comments:

  1. I know someone who has a phobia about buttons!,I love them and have a small bag of vintage ones that i bought from Snoopers Attic in Brighton a few years ago.I use them to sew on my Levi jackets,hats,ect.Infact anywhere i think a button will look nice!!.Ive also got a button bracelet that i bought from a craft fare.Your necklace looks great!,Debi,x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the sound of all the different things you've done with your buttons Debi. I've just used some up on a wall hanging I made earlier this year.
      Arilx

      Delete
    2. Oh,a wall hanging sounds great,cause then you can look at all those memories what come from those buttons.I have bought badges aswell,and pin them on whatever takes my mood at that moment!!,Some i have had for 5 years,in a box....N then i get an idea of where they would look great!Debi,x

      Delete
  2. Left is for lads! That's how I remember it.
    Fab necklace! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the necklace. Can you send me round my servant to dress me soon? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I forgot that he was only on a short term loan...!
      Arilx

      Delete

Good Friday

 Hope everyone has a good Easter break. I saw this massive pug shaped egg on one of my recent forays and the utter ridiculousness of it just...