Friday 18 December 2020

Wreath


"Wreath" comes from the old English writhen meaning to twist apparently. I was rather curious about why we hang these things on our doors, but their origins seem a little fluid. There's talk of the Romans having a version to signify victory [they weren't ones to let their conquests go unnoticed!] and others speak of the 16th century Lutherans in Germany have some type of Advent version. Common sense tells me that humans have always had a penchant for feathering their bower with whatever they could find to add that individual touch and long may it continue! We've got a very simple gold twiggy star here at GBT, but this splendid one is to be found in the conservation area in the town.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Arilx

5 comments:

  1. How beautiful and unusual. I've seen so many wreaths this year and I they have all been so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like wreaths, not the grave side one's I hasten to add but the one's for the door. This one is gorgeous.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an elegant wreath, indeed, assembled to suit a chic door topped with a swag of green! Once upon a time, I'd have assumed that the house within would be decorated by a pro -- and I'd have been wrong. As you say, humans have a penchant for the individual touch and I've observed that wherever kids have made ornaments, these have place of honor. (Who made your gold twiggy star?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful wreath. Ours is from a Boy Scout sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DO like wreaths! I've got 3 different ones round my house- 2 are charity shopped! The third one is in the loft- I really like it and hope we can get it down!

    ReplyDelete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...