Wednesday 3 August 2022

The Stoneywell Bull


Before we went away I prebooked tickets for a tour of the National Trust property of Stoneywell. It's most known for its Arts and Crafts interior, but it was the stories the guides told us that captivated me. It was completed by Ernest Gimson [in partnership with Detmar Blow] in 1899 for his brother Sydney to have as his summer residence. I think it must have a fabulous place to spend your summer holidays if you were a child with its scaled down play fort in the garden which was thatched every year with bracken. However, it was the tale of the lintel above the fireplace which made me chuckle. The children were told that an enormous bull had once charged through the wall and as proof its horns remain embedded there for all to see to this very day.

I had planned to do a full writeup of our visit, but as is oft the way the post has morphed into something quite different. As you can see I've just decided to go with it and offer up this alternative version which will hopefully amuse!

Arilx


 

8 comments:

  1. Goodness me, I loved Stoneywell, thanks to you! I didn't hear that story when we visited.
    I'm off to see a very famous bull this morning - I can't wait! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your amazing photos. Am glued to the coverage! Arilx

      Delete
  2. That's a great bit of lore to go with the property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun isn't it. Great place to visit. Arilx

      Delete
  3. This made me chuckle. Not a bad start to the day! My husband has a buck hanging on the wall. My little niece came and was fascinated by it. Her father told her that a buck had crashed through the wall and gotten stuck there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the curiosity of small children and the way they see the world. Arilx

      Delete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...