Tuesday 1 August 2023

That was the week that was.

 Despite making a few tentative plans to head out beyond the town last weekend I found that actually I fancied sticking around and being a home bird for once. During the previous week I have snapped a few things which I've enjoyed which make for a domestically local sort of post for a change. Here goes....

This little patch of loveliness is growing at the side of the path on a scrubby verge. It's so pretty. I have no clue as to what the purple flower is in our garden save that it's a wild one, but the bees love it and I love our salmon coloured berries. Many of the berries have now turned red and they will be black soon.




Don't say that you haven't been warned that this particular household has hounds. I was quite relieved to see that they have actually got perspex in that triangular cut out!


Hilariously someone with a sense of humour set up a spoof art-trail round the town centre a few weeks back. They'd chosen redundant or tatty bits of street furniture and then "improved" them with an attached notice giving details of their ahem artistic merit. Supposedly the work of the "Horsham Objects of Modern Art" no one's owned up to it. Helpful little fingers [or humourless individuals] have already removed most of them, but I did find these two. The old shoes now green with age and moss must have been hanging from the top of the first lamppost for at least 15 years!






Despite the odd lamppost which probably should be retired from service we do have some rather attractive ones too like the example below. Many have got hanging baskets suspended from them which makes for a very pretty Carfax along with these pretty arrangements around the newly spruced up bandstand.



Somewhere amongst that group of people is my Mum who was singing madrigals to entertain the shoppers on Saturday morning. People were happy to sit and listen to the music, but this little fellow has to win the prize as their smallest fan. A few minutes later he climbed up the bandstand steps and sat down to hear them better!



This sign just made me smile. The other side reads "Anchor Hotel", but the Ho Ho seemed to be in keeping with the cheeky message below enticing you in.


The museum is looking rather splendid, but I actually wanted to see if they had a particular bicycle as part of their display....


As luck would have it they did. Below is a pentacycle which was patented by a local architect, Edward Burstow in 1881. At the time the Post Office was looking for a new design for a carrier bike which could carry greater loads and Burstow submitted his plans. However, it was rejected because it was thought to that there was a high chance of the riders getting injured because it wasn't very sturdy. Locally it's called the Hen and Chickens because of the four extra wheels. There's a pub in a nearby village which shares its name and occasionally I wondered why the hen was riding a bike. Now it's all crystal clear!



Finally I rounded off the weekend with some baking. It was my first attempt at lemon and white chocolate cookies using this recipe https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/lemon-and-white-chocolate-cookies.html Pretty scrummy but it makes at least 30. They seem to be evaporating rather fast here at GBT. How does that happen eh😁


Arilx

10 comments:

  1. The plant with the purple flowers mysteriously appeared in my garden about 3 or 4 years ago. I had no idea what it was either until I picked up a magazine a few weeks ago and saw a picture of it labelled verbena. It self-seeds all over the place, so some judicious weeding is required, but I have left ones dotted throughout the garden as it is so pretty (some plants have pink flowers rather than purple) and yes, the bees adore it. I have just had a good old giggle at the Horsham art trail. Someone has a very good sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vipers bugloss (also known as Paterson's Curse, and Salvation Jane). Weird bike. Must try those biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'd never heard of the other names for Viper's Bugloss. That's why I love the interaction between bloggers.

      Delete
  3. Charles Dickens said, "Accidentally consumed five biscuits when I wasn't paying attention. Those biscuits are wily fellows - they leap in like sugary ninjas".
    I can relate to that! Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I daren't bake goodies as I have absolutely no willpower whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. It's only something I do very occasionally for exactly that reason!

      Delete
  5. The cookies are a great mystery. Perhaps you should bake more to investigate further. The Pentacycle...I have never seen anything quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may well bake more, but not for a few weeks!

      Delete

Getting up to mischief

Isn't it a tad frustrating when you see something you think you'd really enjoy and you can't manage it for a multitude of reason...