I don't know if this ever happens to you, but there are some places that I have been going past for years yet never stopped to see what's there. Petersfield, just over the border in Hampshire, is one I drove past many times when I was studying over that way and at that time the route took me round the outskirts. Nowadays there's a bypass so no opportunity to even peek. I asked my friend Jane what she knew of the town and as it turns out she is well acquainted with it. It's pretty with a big lake and a free physic garden to see. It sounded the perfect place to while away a lunchbreak whilst we travelled across the county for a short break earlier this year.
Forftied with a cup of coffee from the Plump Duck cafe we started off by stretching our legs and taking a stroll around the perimeter of the Heath Pond. It is teeming with wildlife and it wasn't long before I turned up that fairy house hiding in the tree stump and the outlet pipe painted to look like a wendy house [named after Wendy Darling from Peter Pan apparently]. Initially that stubby little duck had us foxed, but it's the result of a mallard cross breeding with a white domestic duck and isn't uncommon.




The Physic Garden is sited just off the High Street and is the perfect place to get away from the hubbub for a few minutes [yes that's tulips you can see. This was in the Spring]. It was donated by Major John Bowen in 1988 after he had learnt of rare wild flowers being destroyed in the building of a housing estate. His response was to donate his garden to the town where it is cared for by the group of Friends. It's been developed as a 17th century example following the discovery of the connection to John Goodyer and John Worlidge who were both heavily involved in botany and horticulture at the time and were both locals. There's a herb garden, orchard, topiary garden and the knot garden where we sat and watched the world go by. When I stumbled across the plaque for Goodyer I was intrigued to see his is terracotta to blend in with the brick house it is affixed to rather than the standard blue ones you usually see.



The town was founded in the 12th century by William Fitzrobert, 2nd Earl of Gloucester and much of its wealth came from the wool trade. There are several references to this dotted around the centre including the woolbale sculpture by Richard Perry and the shepherd by Andy Cheese.
I found there to be many beautiful buildings to stop and admire as we trundled back to the car. One John Small lived in the brick town house in 1802. He was a noted batsman and maker of cricket balls no less. Contrasting was the care worn patina of the corrugated metal forge. Am always a sucker for a bit of peeling paint.
Was definitely worth making that detour even if it has taken me forty years to get round to it!
Arilx
No comments:
Post a Comment