Tuesday 5 November 2013

Scottish National Trust

I live in Sussex yet have had membership of the Scottish National Trust for the last few years- one day I will make it over the border to visit one of their properties [maybe next year if we get to Orkney] but it is a good investment in my eyes and more than pays for itself over the course of a year. Why the Scottish version- simply cheaper than the NT yet with access to all the same places. We will renew it again next year and continue to use it both on a local basis for popping out spontaneously [our nearest is Nymans which is open all year round and really is a garden for all seasons], as a lunch spot for travelling [we take our pack ups and then have a quick scoot round somewhere- makes for a more interesting pit stop than the Service Station!] and as part of our holiday jollies, allowing the entrance fee saved to treat ourselves to a meal out instead.

Last week's destination was the glorious Wightwick [pronounced Wittick] Manor- a fabulous example of the Arts and Crafts movement. I was amazed at the sheer number of blooms still in the garden- the rose bushes were overflowing and some natty dahlias to gladden the heart on a late Autumn day



 This was the view that greeted us upon our arrival

The back of the manor and the stunning ivy-it really does come into its own at this time of year.



Everywhere you look there is more detail to behold from intricate carvings to majestic chimney pots. This continued inside with Kemp windows, Morris wallpapers, de Morgan ceramics and paintings by Millais and Burne Jones. As ever though I was especially chuffed to find that above the porch was a bat and an owl- most appropriate I felt as we were there on Halloween- I think the huge pumpkin in the foreground might have just given you a clue! Needless to say the 15 year old gave this fine opportunity a wide berth- he'd have been bored out of his box. Instead he spent the afternoon carrying out mysterious tasks on The Book of The Face in the language that his dear dotty old Mum cannot fathom!






Arilx

3 comments:

  1. Oh Aril, I wish I'd have known you were in the area - I live about 10 miles away from Wightwick Manor (and it's still on my list to visit.) I would have loved to have met up with you.
    I know it's a fascinating place and I'm really pleased you enjoyed your visit.
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that was a shame- we were staying in Stone. Next time definitely- you live in a really interesting part of the world!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just let me know if you are ever in the area again Aril. Stone is about 12 miles the other way!
    Hope you enjoyed Stone too, quite an interesting town in it's own right with it's canal past, and of course so close to the Stoke on Trent area with it's rich pottery history.
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete

Good Friday

 Hope everyone has a good Easter break. I saw this massive pug shaped egg on one of my recent forays and the utter ridiculousness of it just...