Friday 28 April 2017

April Scavenger Hunt


I mean to do this every month, but somehow it never happens. I can see another six months has passed since I joined in. Linking to Kate http://livelovecraftme.blogspot.co.uk/

1. New...a webcam. This has been recommended as one of the best ways to keep in touch when our son heads off to Bangladesh for three months. I shall be pleased to be able to "see" him as well as speak to him every couple of weeks. Sometimes I curse technology, but Skype is fantastic.


2. Rust...this is actually a paint effect called faux tina. Seen in Brighton last year.


3. Box...this glass box contains the London skyline made up of coffee related waste. It's part of a campaign to draw attention to the appallingly low recycling rates in this area.


4. Ingredients...what you need to be a Morris Dancer. The tankard is not obligatory, but show me a dancer without one...they are a very rare breed!



5. Begins with D.....This is Dobbin who lives at the NT property, Standen. His saddle asks you not to touch him because he's old and frail. As a child I always loved rocking horses. It was always with great excitement that we went shoe shopping....nothing to do with shoes, but the chance to ride on the rocking horse they had in the shoe shop back then!


6. Mechanical...Victorian "Thunderbox". Only available to those who had money. It must have seemed such a huge improvement on what went before. Thank goodness for flushing toilets! This example is at the Farnham Rural Life Museum


7. Something seasonal Seeing as I didn't do anything for St George's day blog wise I shall make amends here. This example hangs on the wall in Southwark Cathedral


8. Recently finished At long last the stitching on my wall hanging has been completed. Just need to stitch some tabs on it so that it can actually go up somewhere! Every part of it has either come from the charity shops or jumble sales over the years. I plan to paint one of my son's old cot bars cream to suspend it from.



9. Begins with R Red Kite. It still thrills me whenever we see one of these, but we are invariably travelling in the car when we do. They are beginning to appear in my little pocket of West Sussex. This one was circling on the thermals up above our son when he was running a half marathon near Windsor recently.


10. My own choice Jukebox in a Sussex pub. The notice said that it still worked if you put 20p in it. We only popped in that day fleetingly so didn't get the chance to try it out.  When I was at college in the 1980s we had one in the Student Union bar. I can remember playing Tom Jones "It's not unusual" on it one summer. Funny really because I am not a TJ fan in any shape or form, but I do have a soft spot for this track!


Arilx

18 comments:

  1. A lovely set of photos, Aril. I love your new wall hanging - will we get another photo once it's hanging on the wall please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I'm having a brave moment!
      Arilx

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! Really enjoyed your selection of pictures and stories, so glad you joined in, my favourite has to be your ingredients and if I was a stick bashing dancer, my
    Tankard would only have water - how boring! 😊 don't forget to link up on my blog then the other photo hunters can find you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine contains a soft drink more often than I care to admit. I'm a lightweight drinker at the best of times and usually driving!
      Arilx

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, love the window of St George and the Dragon.

    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you for joining in. I loved that they are so different from any of the others. My favourite is as others know, is the Red Kite, as I'm a bird of prey nut. Your own choice also brought back memories of a juke box at my local ice skating rink, where I spent my teenage years & occasionally had enough to pop into it. Thank you & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to meet a fellow raptor fan!
      Arilx

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen a scavenger hunt post for ages, they were all the rage with a lot of the bloggers I follow a while ago.
    I love the rat look for V Dubs. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always enjoyed your photos of the VW events you put up Vix.
      Arilx

      Delete
  6. So glad you could join in. Apologies for a very lat comment but life has overtaken my best intentions yet again!
    I really do like that everyone interprets the worst in a most interesting way. One of my favourites ww the faux tine paint and another the Red Kite. There are some not too far away from where live. I think it is a magnIficent bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought the van was just rusty when I first saw it...only found out about it when friends with vans enlightened me!
      Arilx

      Delete
  7. Great entries for each item on the list. The wall hanging is amazing. I'm hopeless with fabric so I admire the skill that went into this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment about my wall hanging. I've enjoyed being a little bit creative for once!
      Arilx

      Delete
  8. Love the St George's logo - should inspire a wall hanging! But my favourite is the rocking horse. It brought back memories of travelling between Capetown and the UK on the Union Castle liners in the 50's. I was really a bit old for the children's nursery playroom but I would sneak in there to ride their beautiful rocking horses. Happy memories. Thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have done exactly the same! I now make do with a charming miniature one in my dollshouse.
      Arilx

      Delete
  9. Your wall hanging is beautiful Aril - great work. And the coffee waste sculpture in the box ... it really is time to be doing more about recycling - these artists are great at showing the way.
    In an attempt years ago at making my own wine I came across the fact that Dandelions should be picked for wine making on St George's Day - it always reminds me when I see the fields of dandelions in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried dandelion wine. We make our own but I think I'm far too lazy to pick enough flowers!
      Arilx

      Delete

All work and no plays makes for a very dull day.....

Grey Monday and I'm up for a spot of fun...after I'd finished work I carried on driving to the nearby village of Billingshurst. Form...