Monday 14 October 2019

In a few words.....


Just a bog standard bench..the sort we all walk past and barely even register unless we are looking for a seat. Just a handful of words making up a simple inscription

"Mary and Henry did their courting here circa 1947"

Yet in that short statement an unknown couple have recorded and shared the memory of their lives together. No fuss, no frills...just enduring love. Very moving.

I make a habit of reading any writing I spot on seats if I have time...you learn a little about normal people's lives that history doesn't record. 

Arilx

6 comments:

  1. That is so lovely and you are right says so much in so few words. My youngest daughter always reads and photographs the little inscriptions on benches as she says some of them are so moving. She also says she loves to see the different types of names over the years. It makes me smile she notices so much. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are unexpected little gems on them sometimes.
      Arilx

      Delete
  2. I regularly walk with my dogs past a wooden bench.Occasionally I sit for a while watching the birds in the trees surrounding it.The bench has a plaque,their names and -"A Loving Couple" x

    ReplyDelete

All work and no plays makes for a very dull day.....

Grey Monday and I'm up for a spot of fun...after I'd finished work I carried on driving to the nearby village of Billingshurst. Form...