Tuesday 30 March 2021

Going back over familiar ground.

 Isn't it amazing how you can redo recent walks, but with a friend this time and be shown completely different stuff. A fresh pair of eyes and all that.  Friend E joined me for this seven miler [plus a couple of coffee breaks] and was raring to go out and explore. Although she lives nearby she hasn't been into the town in yonks and basically she said anything we did would be fine. She was just so excited to be out of her village😆 So without further ado and with no repeats here's another selection unearthed by the pair of us.

I pass these wonderfully patterned chimneys at least once a week if not more, but I haven't paid them a huge amount of attention until now. It was quite a pleasant surprise to find that each one is differently patterned. Naturally I couldn't stop at just the one photo.....they are on a rather magnificent building that now stands in the middle of a rather up market housing estate. Originally Tan Bridge House was a family home for the Olivers with its own estate and built in 1887. It was one of the earliest homes to have electricity in the town and stood on the site on an earlier 17th century place. I understand that a couple of the fireplaces were retained and reused here. After a while it was sold on and became the Girls High School for many years, but in 1994 the school relocated [it was mixed by then] to a new modern site. It was earmarked for demolition, but one of the former teachers campaigned to have it saved and nowadays it has been converted into exclusive apartments. It's very near the town centre so the location adds to their desirability.




We both liked the rather low slung window on this charming listed cottage [we were standing in the garden of the church next door at the time]. It forms part of a row of pastel shaded cottages that I have always thought of as the icecream cottages.


I was on a mission to get myself up to the bakery in search of a bun at this point, but I did rather like the flowery trailer of the local honey seller all set up in the Saturday market.


Our local church with its lovely shingle tower....we were looking for a grave with a skull on it that I'd found on an earlier occasion...don't ask💀😉


Up until its closure in 2015 the Tanners Arm was a local pub known for its music scene. I have to be honest and admit that in all my years of living here I never went there as it's a fair way from me. Since its demise the building has been turned into a private home, but the original pub sign made from micro mosaic has been left in situ and adds an eyecatching detail to the frontage.



This part of town is full of little side streets of Victorian terraces, alongside even older cottages. One house is still as it was the day it was built....the stone cladding has not been painted over and the ridge tiles along the top of the roof remain. It's the only one like it still in the street.




The final images are just of things I like. Motorbikes might not hold much interest for me, but show me a well loved scooter and I'm sold.






Next time E and I get together we are hoping that we will be in a position to venture a little further afield in our joint adventuring. Nevertheless not a bad haul for a path already well trodden.

Arilx





9 comments:

  1. It is interesting how much more you see when you take someone new along a familiar path. I have found that before too - years ago when I first landed in the UK I was taken on a walk somewhere in Sussex (sadly I can not remember where) however I too found and photographed a rather impressive set of chimneys such as yours - talk about a flash back to another time! I'd forgotten about those rather decorative chimneys 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People look at things differently. E is very good at spotting unusual angles and rooflines. She has a much more artistic eye than me when taking photos. Arilx

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'd pay good money and even take a ridiculously long journey in an aeroplane just to see those chimneys. They're a wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather splendid. The best ones I've seen are on Hampton Court in London. Arilx

      Delete
  3. I love the chimneys. We have fish pitchers here called blog jugs. I wonder if your fish is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be. I'd never seen anything quite like it before. Arilx

      Delete
  4. What elegant ridge tiles! Hereabouts some of the older buildings have a much less attractive strip of metal, intended to discourage perching by "nuisance birds". This works until the strip is clogged with leaves and debris...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Victorians were brilliant with their attention to detail. They also made some beautiful edgings for garden borders. This cottage wouldn't have been a particularly grandiose affair. Arilx

      Delete
  5. I loved seeing all the things along your journey! I especially love the chimneys!

    ReplyDelete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...