Monday 28 November 2022

Weekend doings.

 You're getting a bits and bobs sort of offering from me today as it was precisely that sort of weekend. There's been a lot of this going on [minus the feline] over the past two weekends...to be frank I will be very happy to not sew anything black for quite some considerable time. I can't even mither really as I chose to do it♥❤🖤, but thankfully the finish post is now in sight.


In between shifts of sewing [my hands are telling me that I've done lots of little stitches over the last fortnight] I nipped into town for a spot of necessary festive retail therapy. I don't go shopping very often so am hopelessly out of practice, but I did get there in the end particularly after being fortified by a particularly good cuppa and a coffee bun at the Repair Cafe. Since I stopped volunteering at the beginning of the year [I'm still on the recycling team for Sussex Green Living] due to time constraints I've not been free when it's been held. It was good to catch up with some familiar faces and see what they've been up to. It's a dynamic charity and there's always something new being added into the mix. This is the cape of good hopes which shows people's love of nature and positive hopes for the future of the planet. It is secular and promotes inclusivity. As you can see it is still very much a work in progress with new patches being added on a monthly basis including several from local Ukranian refugees. I have my own patch to work on in the New Year. It was inspired by Barbara Keal's Coat of Good Hopes which was walked from Peacehaven up to COP26 in Glasgow last year. 


After all that saintly doing of jobs there had to be some respite so we did venture forth yesterday to visit somewhere new [I'll leave that for another day] with a spontaneous drop into a nearby church. It's not that far from GBT, but it's simply not been on the radar. This made coming across an unexpected set of wall paintings dating from 1300 all the more special. Mr GBT could vouch for my ignorance of their existence otherwise we'd have been over long before now😁....I mean look at those skeletons💀 We were in Charlwood, Surrey



Now it's not often that I talk about specific books I've read, but this one is a keeper. It came to me via my FB book exchange so I knew not one jot about it. Back in 2011 many Japanese people tragically lost loved ones in the tsunami. Itaru Sasaki built a white phone box in his garden six months after his cousin died of cancer. Inside is an unconnected phone from which he and now many others ring the people they're grieving for. It is called the phone of the wind and he was approached about having one here in the UK so people could ring those that had died in the pandemic. Although this novel is an imagined account of the story of those left behind and what a part the phone comes to play in their lives it is incredibly moving, but with a light touch and sprinkles of hope.


So as not to finish on a down note we rounded off our shenanigans with an evening out at the folk club. One of the local morris sides is celebrating its 50th anniversary [several members are also in the club] and they'd come all in kit to entertain us. There was a bit of dancing, lots of lively music, the odd risque song and poem and these....jig dolls. I have absolutely fallen in love with these little folk art treasures...even the squeeze box goes in and out! I've never seen any in action so to speak....brilliant.



Thus ended another weird and wonderful weekend in the life of Aril!

Arilx


8 comments:

  1. That cape is amazing - it would also make a great story-tellers cloak....a tale in every square. F wants a closer study of those dolls too. How difficult would it be to build them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess once you understand how they're put together they could all be made by hand. They're fairly crudely carved and then jointed so the legs and arms move. I would love to own one ❤️ Arilx

      Delete
  2. Look at Humphrey on the sewing pile! Cats, huh?
    The Cape of Good Hopes is wonderful as is Itaru Sasaki's telephone concept, what a beautifully touching idea. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I've finished sewing now so his lordship can't snooze on the fabric now. Bleeding felines 🤣 Arilx

      Delete
  3. You really do find lots of interesting things to do and visit in your bit of England.
    I've seen Jig dolls doing their thing at a museum - very clever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the jig dolls round here before and I wonder if they were more popular in East Anglia. Arilx

      Delete
  4. I never weary of wallowing in the wondrous world of the weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be hardwired for weirdness so there will always be more Debbie! Arilx

      Delete

All work and no plays makes for a very dull day.....

Grey Monday and I'm up for a spot of fun...after I'd finished work I carried on driving to the nearby village of Billingshurst. Form...