Sunday 9 April 2023

My happy place


Here I am seated inside one of my happy places. I am always at my most content when near places which were of great importance to our ancestors. I don't profess to always understand what I'm looking at, but I can still experience the special atmosphere and sacredness as others have who have gone before. This is the first time in several years [probably Orkney in 2015] that I've been inside an ancient burial mound.

 This one is the Neolithic long barrow called Belas Knap. When it was excavated the bones of 38 individuals were found interred within it[some have been found to have been later Bronze age ones]. It's about 5000 years old and was sealed up in antiquity. This one was unusual because the "entrance" you can see below is actually a false one. The reason for its inclusion is unknown, but one theory is that it may have been some of portal for the spirits of those contained within. The real points of entry were on the side and at the south end and they would have been turfed over to be hidden from view.


On the day we went it was threatening rain and we had it to ourselves. It's a bit of a steep uphill walk from the carpark, but well worth the effort.

Arilx

 

4 comments:

  1. What a fab photo. I've just googles Belas Knap and must have passed near it hundreds of times over the years, I shall put it on the to-do list! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a hike up there but worth it. Ailx

      Delete
  2. I love the sensation of being drawn to a place without understanding exactly why. It has happened to me twice in my life, and both moments are powerfully seared in my memory. I do not understand any better than I did all those years ago, but the pull was like the aligning of an internal compass that I did not know I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange isn't it when you get so drawn to a place. Arilx

      Delete

Getting up to mischief

Isn't it a tad frustrating when you see something you think you'd really enjoy and you can't manage it for a multitude of reason...