Thursday 8 February 2024

On the buses

 Sometimes people ask me how I know so many odd things or where to see things. Besides having a brain which retains trivia that interests me reasonably well I read [and note things down] all sorts....not just books, but social media posts, plaques, random notices.....you name it I read it in case there's a juicy titbit of information. This plan is not always foolproof mind you.


Last Friday's client was having her new woodburner fitted and having me in at the same time cleaning would never have worked so I booked it out to myself as a day trip on my tod...those occasional days where I enjoy my own company and do what I please. Did I have a plan...course I did.....there's a local museum near here with a Bronze age sword awaiting my attention. Usually I'd go on the train, but it was a day of working to rule and I try to avoid those days where possible or find alternative means. Wanting to stick with public transport and knowing how low the current fares are for this year I thought I'd take the bus. The route is direct from our bus station to the one in the centre of my chosen destination. Two buses an hour how difficult could that be? Except yours truly never travels by bus on her own....I might be 57, but great chance to learn and have a new mini experience. I arrived in good time and waited patiently in bay D for the No23.....except the No 23 went from Bay C and I only realised when I saw it glide away up the road. That notice attached to the glass partition which I hadn't so much as glanced at warned me that the bus might need to leave from a different bay if the original one was already occupied [which it was]....

Lesson learned. Once upon a time such a situation would have triggered a panic attack and I would have given up and gone home. Nowadays I chuckle at myself. I sent Mr GBT a text saying that I was still very much wearing my novice bus catching L plates, but that the extra time had given me a chance to chat to a German gentleman with magnificent grey hair down to his waist who was wearing stylish grey glasses and a pair of very memorable banana yellow jeans. He boarded the bus to Brighton where I am quite sure he would have blended in seamlessly. 'Silver Linings' was my husband's brief reply. Am pleased to say that I safely boarded the next bus and even mastered the modern tap on and off payment method....I am now eyeing up the Brighton bus in case I find myself with another work free day anytime soon!

Have a great weekend folks....after all the dashing about of the past few weeks and then slowed down by a cold this week I have made no definite plans. We'll see how it rolls out🎉🥳

Arilx



6 comments:

  1. I do love characters! I'm glad you ran into a talkative one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It adds so much more to your daily life. Arilx

      Delete
  2. That's the joy of public transport, the characters you meet along the way! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The service station is not nearly as exciting! Arilx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on mastering the bus system! I was pleased when the QR code app on my phone worked to alert staff of my arrival at their shop to pick up groceries.

    ReplyDelete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...