Tuesday 27 September 2016

You're An Embarrassment.

Once upon a time when I was a Bright Young Thing my musical tastes were very much focused upon Ska and 2 Tone. The Beat, Bad Manners, The Specials and most of all Madness. For weeks I would sneak downstairs early before school and put my much prized single "Embarrassment" on the record player. This was played on repeat for three or four times back to back, whilst I perfected my dance moves for Friday Night at the local Youth Club. Eventually I mastered the dotty boppings of the Madness boys to quite a credible level. That was in the early 1980s.....

Last Saturday I came across the recent recording of Madness at Radio Two's Hyde Park Concert. Deciding to relive a bit of my past I settled down to watch Suggs do his thang....except unbeknown to me I evidently started to reproduce all the old dance moves completely forgetting that the teenogre was sitting across the other side of the room plugged into his phone watching the footie [except the ample rump had remained firmly planted on the sofa this time round]. I soon was made aware though as the dear boy guffawed hysterically as he asked me "God what ARE you doing?"  Perhaps this is the Ska equivalent of muscle memory...the subconscious is a funny old beast isn't it even if I am mildly surprised to find that I still remember it after all this time.

In celebration of my personal Embarrassment here's the original.....


Arilx

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid I've suffered similar historical slip ups ... teenagers are not very forgiving when it comes to secret mum-dancing in the kitchen to old hits!

    ReplyDelete

Good Friday

 Hope everyone has a good Easter break. I saw this massive pug shaped egg on one of my recent forays and the utter ridiculousness of it just...