Tuesday 30 January 2018

All the fun of the fair.

Following on from yesterday's postlet I spent an amazing few hours in Battersea with Arty L drooling [figuratively I hasten to add]over antique loveliness that was so far out of both our budgets it was laughable [let's just say London Prices and you'll get my drift!]. We were at the Winter Decorative Antiques and Textiles Fair for which she somehow gets free tickets.

It was an occasion to admire and be inspired as well as chuckle quietly over things we remember the first time and aren't any more to our taste this time round. I think it was Oscar Wilde who said something along the lines of there being no good taste or bad taste....just your taste or mine and it's very true. With permission I took photos of a few items which caught my eye.

This is a modern French bronze by Dominque Pouchain called Licorne. https://www.dominique-pouchain.com/bronzes/


A mid 20th centurey ceramic French piece inspired by the Axtecs.


Adam and Eve. The detailing is picked out in dried flowers of which I'm not normally a fan, but these could make me change my opinion.



A bit of inventive upcycling. Lamps and literally a "book"shelf!




These wonderful chairs...all that glorious colour.



So the million dollar question is ....did I succumb.....erm might just have made a modest purchase.....


A 1920s metallic thread tassel which now has pride of place on my corner cupboard https://gnatbottomedtowers.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=corner+cupboard and looks very at home though I say it myself.


It twinkles very pleasingly when the light shines on it.....I'm sure I must have been a magpie in a previous life!

Arilx

6 comments:

  1. Looks an intriguing day out, as you say antiques have become so expensive, must be all these television programmes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough there were a couple of regulars from the TV selling stuff!
      Arilx

      Delete
  2. Reading your post has given me some ideas of what i can do with things I have around the house!,Remember when i said that i had a very old book with very old dried flowers that someone had placed in there..well,Ive got some picture frames,so Im going to give the flowers another life by gently taking them from the book and using a hippy chick 60s pic Ive got and giving her flowers in her hair...oh I can feel a song coming on now,lol.Love the lamps too!.Your tassle looks great there..its nice to pick up a small piece from a lovely day out!Debi,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds like a good idea....hope your picture works well!
      Arilx

      Delete
  3. Interesting things there. I like the adam and eve and the bronze statue. Glad you found something to bring home with you :o) Oscar Wilde's quote- very true :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was all sorts...and some right tat!
      Arilx

      Delete

Marching on

 Well March is being a bit of a madam isn't she. One minute she's teasing us with blue skies and a sun with some warmth in it and th...