Monday 18 March 2024

All work and no plays makes for a very dull day.....

Grey Monday and I'm up for a spot of fun...after I'd finished work I carried on driving to the nearby village of Billingshurst. Former corn fields have now been built upon, but many of the trees and hedgerows have been retained as part of the new estate. At the centre of it all is a big green public space with ponds and public works of art by Helena Roden. The triangular one represents one of the types of stooks which would have been seen in the area and all of them are covered in wild plants which are to be found here. There were masses of birds to be seen and a funny little sign which I passed on my way in from the car🐾 










Arilx

7 comments:

  1. That first photo reminds me of the entrance to The Secret Garden! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting sculptures - how big were the green stripy 'boxes' - what are they made of? They intrigued me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boxes represent houses and are there as landmarks in the estate. Each one is about a metre high and they're made of steel.

      Delete
  3. When I first came to Europe I spent a few weeks in a Baltic state and was amazed to see that they were still handmaking hay - and still preparing it (and harvested grain) in stooks like that pointy one. It was like going back to photos of 1920's NZ - the last time any of my family harvested and stooked by hand - and even then they had early mechanical 'binders'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Romania might still have stooks such as this or at least up until the last 30 years or so. They were still using the traditional farming methods when the communist regime ended. Arilx

      Delete
  4. What is the significance of the boxes, or houses, or whatever they are?

    I love the dog planning his escape sign. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're houses each with one of the plants which grows nearby on it. The intention behind them is so that they can be used as landmarks on the large housing estate and have been commissioned by one of the building companies. Arilx

      Delete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...