Monday 26 August 2024

Lectern

Dropping by and hoping that everyone has enjoyed their Bank Holiday weekend [well those of us in the UK anyway].....please can someone explain to me how it is that we are already nearly at the end of August?!! It's been lots of bits and bobs going on here at GBT. For the first time in a few years we've actually got our act together and picked some blackberries which are now steeping nicely in a brewing bucket with some of our home grown raspberries. That lot will all be made into wine😍

A wee jaunt back over to Michelham Priory in East Sussex yesterday saw Mythago making its dancing return at the Medieval Festival. I have featured this lovely place on here a few times, so will spare you the repeat photos, but I did rather love this wooden 17th century lectern and its traces of original paint remaining. It's supposed to be an eagle which is a symbol of St John, but I'd have guessed goose or duck had I not known. Whilst the eagle is very common I have seen lecterns with other creatures including a parrot of all things. I'd certainly give this one house room.


Speak soon.

Arilx




3 comments:

  1. Very duckish to my eye, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very strange but rather endearing thing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lectern is magnificent!
    I hope to be picking lots of blackberries when we're staying in our holiday cottage next week. Making a mental note to pack some plastic tubs to take with us on our walks. Which I will probably forget anyway :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete

A grave day

 Tragically Charles Cook died on 20th March 1767 aged only 30. He was killed by a falling tree. Whilst I can't find anything about the m...