Tuesday 22 April 2014

A Minor Diversion.

Sometimes I am very observant and pride myself on spotting small details that others miss. Other times it can be something hidden in plain sight and I miss it completely! Hence the need for a minor diversion on our way back from the Weald and Downland at the weekend.

I have written about the delightful Shepherd's church at Didling in a previous post http://gnatbottomedtowers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/sussex-sheep-and-shepherds.html Following a later discussion about it with a morris dancing chum he asked me if I'd liked the greenman [you know me...the obsessed greenman lady]...erm what greenman I asked? So back we went and here is the mighty fine chap. Not sure how old he is....according to the marvellous google the pulpit was made from an old 17th century chest and the face was inserted to cover the keyhole. He's stolen my heart anyroad!


The church is nestled at the foot of The Downs and this is the view [yes that's me snouting as usual in the backgound!] from the rear of the churchyard...I hope it gives you a taste of why I adore West Sussex. The tree in the foreground is a Copper Beech just coming into leaf.


And this is what was looking back at me!


Masses of these are out right now- known in times gone past as St Peter's keys after he supposedly dropped them from the gates in heaven. For any non British readers who are kind enough to drop by and read my witterings these are more normally called Cowslips....unfortunately which translates as cow pats!

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...