Wednesday 2 April 2014

Honest Craftsmanship

I am rather a big fan of the Arts and Crafts movement. One aspect I particularly like was the return to honest, traditional workmanship- often the pieces were sophisticated but others were to say the least a little rustic...one reviewer in 1899 referred to it as " the work of a savage". I am surmising that possibly he wasn't overly keen then perhaps?!

This stool is a family piece. I remember it in my Nana's house as a child and now my parents own it. My Dad doesn't know a great deal about it except that it was made by a family member and it's cedar. The family story is that the wood originally came from a WWI plane's propeller. I can't authenticate it but it makes a good tale. I just love its simplicity.


Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marching on

 Well March is being a bit of a madam isn't she. One minute she's teasing us with blue skies and a sun with some warmth in it and th...