Saturday 23 June 2018

Midsummer

Mr GBT and I are now back on The Big Island, having spent a fun and frolicsome week kicking our heels on the Isle of Wight. It's only the second time I've ever been and last time we were accompanied by the toddler version of TYM and all the tut you have to cart around with you when you have a child of that age. This time it's been a much simpler affair. Lots of dancing [it was a Morris weekend, but we rented a cottage and stayed on], lots of walking and the odd glass of whichever poison took my fancy. Has certainly been a good week.

Normally I'd mark the Summer Solstice here, but this time I was able to visit the Longstone in person. It's the remains of a Neolithic long barrow. As ever I got chatting to a lovely local chap who'd been up at the stones since 4am with his dog....we exchanged notes on other sacred sites we'd visited on our travels.....all perfectly normal in my strange little world!


Arilx

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have had a lovely week Aril.I love the Isle of Wight.Ive not been for about 5 years but we used to stay in Shanklin.Lovely little place and beautiful island!.We are off to Brighton until Tuesday night.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Brighton. There's always so much to see and do. Sometimes go down on the bus as it's much cheaper than driving or getting the train. Have a lovely break!
      Arilx

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had a lovely time away. Those UK islands look so tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The island is very old fashioned and has a charm to it. This week it's hosting a huge music festival.
      Arilx

      Delete
  3. One evening I decided to go with my dog and lay down on the top of a Roman burial mound in the shape of a star looking out to sea.Next morning the mist rising from the base of the mound was beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing experience Flis, Would have loved that!
      Arilx

      Delete

What Aloicious Did Next

 After laying low for a few months Horsham's spoof artist Aloicious Shaftspole has been up to his tricks again. A 'what three words&...