Monday 12 August 2019

A lighter touch.

One of my top reading genres is crime fiction. I love nothing better than settling down with a scandi noir filled with depraved psychopaths and brutal plot lines. However, sometimes I fancy something a little less dark. This author, Elly Griffiths, was mentioned in passing by a lady in my reading group several months ago. At long last I got my act together and borrowed one from the library to give it a whirl.


I have to say I really enjoyed it. It's set in the 1950s and the writer has managed to achieve a balance between the cosiness of an Agatha Christie feel with a full bodied story that takes some unpredictable turns. It lacks the blood thirsty descriptions, but the characters and plots/subplots dovetail well into a decent and unpredictable ending. Methinks a return visit to the library to borrow more titles by her is definitely on the cards.

Arilx


1 comment:

  1. Her other series mixing archaeology and crime is more well known as it's been going longer. Best to start at the beginning "The Crossing Places" to know the characters.

    ReplyDelete

Puzzling

Being a soul who could win an Olympic Gold if overthinking was ever included as a sport, one thing which really helps me to slow down and be...