Monday 19 August 2019

Tales from beyond the grave.

One of the absolute best things about blogging for me is taking photos of things that I don't necessarily either understand or know anything about at the time, but then unravelling the stories or the history behind them when I get home. These were my favourite snippets when I popped into Steyning as part of my day out with chum E recently.

I have seen these type of graves all over the place or more precisely I have seen them and then dismissed them as not of interest. Probably just represented a style which was fashionable for a time I guessed.

It wasn't until somebody commented online that they're called body stones that I looked into them a bit more. Now I know that they were another deterrent to stop the body snatchers. They were an expensive option and thus sadly only available to those with the financial means to afford them.

Now I don't know about you, but if I was the local master stone mason I'd blooming well want the swankiest gravestone in the place. It seems Daniel Easton who died in 1791 had the very same thought and no expense was spared. Even over 200 years on after his headstone has suffered from weather he still has the most magnificently carved example. One wonders whether it might even have been carved by his own fair hand before he shuffled off his mortal coil. If he did indeed go down that path it would at least be guaranteed that he got exactly what he wanted! Please do double click on the image if you want to see the carvings in more detail.


Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...