Wednesday 1 April 2020

The joke is upon you.


[Imade from Pixabay]

So as we are entering a new month today it's a day supposedly full of japes and fun at the expense of others. In 1860 many received an invitation to the Tower of London to "Admit the Bearer and Friend to view the Annual Ceremony of Washing the White Lions". Many turned up even though it was 1st April. It wasn't the first time people had fallen for it....the trick was first played in 1698. I have Laurence Whistler's "The English Festivals" to thank for this little gem.

Arilx

3 comments:

  1. I was a little bit hoping I would wake up and learn this virus was an elaborate joke, and tofay rebealed. Not so of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can relate...there have been a couple of times when I've woken up to realise that it is real. Arilx

      Delete
  2. Like Sam I was hoping this virus is a joke

    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Marching on

 Well March is being a bit of a madam isn't she. One minute she's teasing us with blue skies and a sun with some warmth in it and th...