Monday 18 July 2022

Down on the coast

 Unusually for us we all headed off down to the coast last Friday. Brighton is an extraordinary place to visit, but I rarely head towards the sea if I'm there. It's also a pain in the neck to find parking [and very pricey], but this time we had prebooked so there was no bother when we got there as we had a deadline to meet this time.

It was TYM's Masters graduation. There's not the same emotional connection to Sussex uni for any of us as there was to Chester. Originally he had been looking forwards to the change of continuing his studies down south after three years up north, but good old Covid put paid to that and he did the entire thing via zoom from his bijou bedroom. Many of the students were supposed to be coming from abroad, but with good reason they didn't want to get locked down here so they stayed at home. Nevertheless it was a special day to celebrate his achievement and the weather was glorious. We even went wild and had an icecream afterwards. I like this image of the two of us as we were oblivious to Mr GBT taking it....TYM is showing me how to take a photo of him on his modern all singing all dancing mobile. 


Killing time before the ceremony we were able to do a quick bit of exploring which yielded the upside down house. You can go in and the idea is that you take photos of yourself in the upturned rooms and then rotate them by 180 degrees so that it looks like you're on the ceiling. The i360 tower isn't the most attractive thing I've ever seen, but the "doughnut" is very impressive with its reflective glass on the underside and the refracted views it gives of what's beneath.



That's the chapter in my son's academic education now closed. Back to holiday posts next time.

Arilx

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations to TYM and best wishes for his future career.

    I do like your shrug/cardigan Aril. I'm looking for something similar so if it still has the label (I always cut labels out) please will you let me know the make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I'm afraid that I cut the label out as it was so scratchy, but I also bought it for 20p from a jumble sale many years ago so I'm afraid I can't give you any further details. Sorry! Arilx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to TYM. I didn't travel from the US to London for my daughter's Master's graduation, but she and friends got loads of pictures. That was nearly 8 years ago- time really does fly. That is a lovely candid photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations TYM! it is our turn next week - Youngest has his graduation do on the Thursday, where has the time gone? Despite the ordeal of zooming the course in the bedroom (Youngest had to do it too - makes you wonder how they managed) it seems our lads are made of sterner and stoic stuff - here is to the next chapter😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the grad goes off well. They have done well to take it in their stride. Arilx

      Delete
  4. The upside down house was near Chester? My gosh. That picture of you and your son is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house is in Brighton where my son did his Masters last year. He did his BA in Chester. Arilx

      Delete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...