Thursday 4 March 2021

Nutty

 Occasionally when I see the Whole Earth peanut butter on a budget friendly offer I'll treat Mr GBT to a jar of the stuff. He's the only one who eats it [I like peanuts and satay, it's just the butter bit that I'm not keen on] and once he gets going it doesn't last long.

I mentioned in passing that I'd made my own years ago when he was first made redundant which started a whole conversation about the cost of decent quality shop bought versus home-made. Well we did the sums and the DIY version came out considerably lower and with no palm oil lurking in the list of ingredients. A few days later he returned from a secret mission brandishing a bag of salted peanuts and the rest is history as they say! 

Blitzing the nuts in the food processor he found he needed to add just a tsp of vegetable oil to loosen it off a bit. As he prefers the crunchy peanut butter he had deliberately kept a couple of handful of the nuts in bigger pieces which he then stirred back in at the end. One jar made this time.


It was apparently just a tad too salty, but I've bought him the basic Tesco ones this time around and they've got much less salt on them to start with so he can see how it compares.

Being a practical sort of chap he's happy to turn his hand to all sorts. Having mastered the peanut butter he's now busy designing a hedgehog house using up stuff we've already got here. He's a busy bee!

Arilx

7 comments:

  1. I love peanut butter though have never tried making it. His looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much easier that I had imagined it would be. Arilx

      Delete
  2. I have always meant to try making home made peanut butter. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth giving it a try sometime. Arilx

      Delete
  3. Aril do you have a B&M store near you ? They sell the Whole Earth peanut butter for £2, smooth and crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly we don't so I am reliant on getting it if I happen to see it on offer. We don't buy it too often as it gets eaten rather quickly! Arilx

      Delete
  4. I sometimes make peanut butter in the same way. I tried rinsing the peanuts under a running tap and drying them in a clean tea towel. It works if you don't like the salt. I like it smooth so I whizz a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete

What Aloicious Did Next

 After laying low for a few months Horsham's spoof artist Aloicious Shaftspole has been up to his tricks again. A 'what three words&...