Monday, 7 September 2026

Second Hand September

I am reliably informed that we're now in Second Hand September....we have no such thing in this household because every month is pre-loved either receiving or giving away stuff. Having never been a very good capitalist I am much more of a circular economy kinda gal and seeing the damage rampant consumerism is doing to the planet I'll stick in my lane thanks. This lovely pair of china wrens were made by a potter on the Isle of Scily so their previous owner told me...note the use of the word 'previous' for now they have come to live with me and join my much loved wren which was the first present David bought me way back in 1990. I now have my very own chime of wrens💙


Arilx





4 comments:

  1. What a lovely trio of wrens, and I love the idea of Second Hand September ... and every other second hand month of the year too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a chime of wrens? Great collective noun. Pretty. I like the idea that what we own tells a story - a life lived - each item has its own story too and previous ownership contributes. We are just the guardians in a longer stretch of existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally with you on the preloved thing. I honestly believe, April, if each person simply stopped/minimized purchases, we could change the course of the world. Our dollar/pound/whatever is our second greatest power.

    ReplyDelete

Decisions, decisions.

Now that's what I call a sign. If you're wondering we plumped for a spot of lunch at the Partridge in Singleton after completing our...