Friday 14 July 2023

Not a bad spot for lunch.

 Normally lunch is a rushed affair sat on the sofa at home before I head out to housesparkle for my next client....not every day is like that though. I didn't think this was a bad spot for lunch a few weeks ago.....

Arthur's Stone in Herefordshire. The bare bones remaining of a chambered tomb which would have once been covered in turf to blend it into its surroundings. It commands a very fine view from the top of Merbach Hill. Rumours abound...is King Arthur buried beneath these great slabs of rock after he broke his back whilst fighting a rival King, perhaps he survived and those hollows in the rock are where he prayed after his victory or are those the indentations left behind by the giant's elbows after Arthur had slain him? One of them's got to be true surely😃


I am unable to resist going inside and touching the stones for myself [apart from in Stonehenge which is an absolute no no]. They are such a draw for me and hold great power. However, I wasn't as brave as a friend of mine who tells me he lay down inside as the great capstone has completely cracked across. It is rumoured that it inspired C S Lewis to create the stone table for the lion Aslan. That maybe the case, but we did encounter a few such claims on our travels and the jury is still out for me with some of them!


Hope you all have a fabulous weekend. We are escaping down to the coast for yet more dancing...I'm hoping that we don't get too much rain as it would be a crying shame if my chips got soggy!

Arilx



4 comments:

  1. I remember seeing stone work from 79 AD in Chester. First thing I did was dart up there to touch those stones. It's nice to see a kindred!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much stuff put behind glass that we can't handle for preservation reasons, that I like to do it when possible as it forms a direct link back to my ancestors.

      Delete
  2. I love the picture. It looks like you are making sure the cracked stone stays where it is supposed to be. I was seriously underwhelmed by Stonehenge when we visited and quite annoyed at not being able to get near to the stones. When I told my Dad he blithely announced that he had camped in the middle of the circle when taking part in an army exercise, many moons ago. I think English Heritage would take a very dim view of that today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we dance in the Stonehenge the rules are very stringent about not touching, but a couple of days earlier they'd been open access for the Solstice and people were crawling all over them like ants. I guess it's a damage limitation exercise. Arilx

      Delete

Getting up to mischief

Isn't it a tad frustrating when you see something you think you'd really enjoy and you can't manage it for a multitude of reason...