Sunday 26 November 2023

Late Autumn

 So here we are at the tail end of Autumn with the abscission [new word alert...if I don't use it I'll lose it!] almost over. If it's a sunny day and I'm not working then I'm going out...these hours of bright light are too precious to lose and if I bank them with positive experiences it helps me through the ones which are grey. A week ago I wouldn't have been going to the Wynkcoombe Arboretum because a week ago I'd never ever heard of it. It's been going since the mid 1970s and has a mere 800 trees so not small nor insignificant then...it's the life's work of Nicholas Smith and is in the Sussex village of Fittleworth which is less than half an hour's drive from me. Perhaps it's because it's free and mainly known to locals that it flies below the radar. With so many different varieties of trees I think it's a place which would merit a visit whatever the season and one to keep in my back pocket for when I need to get out of the house. Right from the moment we parked and I turned round to see the view out stretching out across the South Downs I knew I was on to a winner.

This tree is actually just beyond the start of the walk, but it immediately made me think of the trees you see in Ashdown Forest where Winnie the Pooh was based. It seems like the house just down the lane may have had a similar idea.....



Within the area there are trees from all over the globe. Many now have QR codes which Mr GBT was very happily looking up. For any keen arborists the complete collection is here https://the-wynkcoombe-arboretum.org.uk/watc/trees.jsp As is my way I was drinking it all in and enjoying what was in front of my nose. 








Stood under the tree was this unexpected carved sentinel. I can't attribute it as there's no accompanying information, but it seems to be of significance to people as they've left votive offerings.









If you do visit there is only limited parking, but it's a place to escape from this rather frantic, busy time of year and the only folks we saw were those walking their pooches.

Arilx

2 comments:

  1. One to put on my visit list when back home. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even closer to you. Lovely as part of a longer walk across Fittleworth Common too. Arilx

      Delete

Getting up to mischief

Isn't it a tad frustrating when you see something you think you'd really enjoy and you can't manage it for a multitude of reason...