My love affair with the work of Maurits Cornelis Escher started with this beautiful picture of the hands drawing one another when I saw a copy of it hanging on my parents' friend's wall as a child. It gave me an enduring fascination with the art of optical illusion of which this artist was the maestro. Some of his incredibly detailed pieces are achieved by means of linocut or woodblock... just deciding what needed to be removed to achieve his desired outcome just blows my mind. He was the master of tessellation and had an incredible understanding of how persepective works. Let's be honest...this is the man whose work seems to prove that water could run uphill for goodness sake! The beauty of going to an exhibition showing his work is that you come away with a far greater understanding of the breadth and skill [even though this is someone else's choice of what you see] of a person's work. I am so pleased that my friend, Lovely Grey, suggested that we go and I hope that this selection of photos gives an idea of just how ridiculously talented Escher was.
The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Goosed
29th September is Michaelmas and was once the traditional day for hosting a goose fair. It also happened to be my birthday and this old goos...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...








His work is certainly both weird and wonderful. Such an imagination!
ReplyDeleteI hope Lovely Grey is well. I used to enjoy reading her blog after you mentioned it here.
Escher has always fascinated me. What a remarkable mind to create images like that!
ReplyDeleteI too love Escher's work, thanks for sharing these photos.
ReplyDeleteIs Lovely Grey still blogging? Her blog was so interesting, and I do miss reading it. xx
No not these days.
Delete