Monday 3 April 2023

Natural beauty.


Please forgive me for I am easing my way in gently. We had an amazing couple of days away and in the main managed to dodge the heaviest rainfall. Of course I have taken way too many photos [when will I ever learn] which will take me a while to sift through and decide which ones will make the best blog stories. In the meantime this cormorant was casually drying out its wings on the dockside in Bristol. They do this because they don't have as much preen oil as other types of diving birds. Having only ever seen them at a distance I thought that they were all black. I had absolutely no idea of how stunning their plumage is or how green their eyes are. Looking at one at such close quarters it does have a bit of a pterodactyl look about it doesn't it.

Arilx

 

8 comments:

  1. Lovely to get a close up photo - they always look so odd with their wings out to dry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes them very distinctive and easy to identify doesn't it. Arilx

      Delete
  2. Fishing birds! I, the Tigger, am very wary of anything avian as big as that thing, and doubly respectful because it goes in water (or possibly drowns its food.... Either way I wouldn't risk a close up look at it just to see what colour its eyes are! xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humphrey stays in when the storks from the Knepp Estate fly over for similar reasons. Arilx

      Delete
  3. When I went kayaking, we came across a group of cormorants in just the pose you have pictured here. Probably 5 of them, all on a rock facing the sun. I looked at your picture and thought immediately that your cormorants must be different than ours, because ours are all black. Turns out they are not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always believed they were black too Debby. Arilx

      Delete
  4. I can't unsee a pterodactyl now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really demonstrate why birds are dinosaurs don't they! Arilx

      Delete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...