Monday 15 May 2023

The Little Folk

 If there are wombles on Wimbledon Common surely you know that there must be elves in Kensington Gardens?🧝 I can vouch that I spent my Saturday morning looking for them and am pleased to say that my search proved fruitful [only phone quality photos this time] and here's the proof.








I'd left Mr GBT to fend by himself for an hour or so at the show [he doesn't really need me once he's set up] and made good my escape. The Elfin Oak is an 800 year old storm damaged trunk which came from Richmond Park and was donated by Lady Fortescue as part of the drive to improve the London parks. In 1930 she commissioned the illustrator Ivor Innes to carve little people into it in scenes of them going about their days living there. Amongst the many characters there's Wookey the Witch with her three jars of health, wealth and happiness, Huckleberry the Gnome with the bag of berries and Grumples and Groodles the Elves. I have no idea who I've got here as I was fighting a fence round it and shaky hands. Over time the tree became rather neglected, but it was always a favourite of Spike Milligan's and he raised the funds to get it repaired and protected. It's now Grade II listed and if anyone has Pink Floyd's album Ummagumma you'll see it on the inside cover.

Last weekend was the end of a chapter in our lives as it's the final show Mr GBT will do. He has decided to retire whilst he's still at the top of his game. He has two years worth of orders to complete, but will enjoy being able to return to the bit he always enjoyed the most which is the design and making of one off pieces for my house. We have no regrets....the hobby has been good to us, but the time is right.

Arilx


2 comments:

  1. Had no idea it even existed - something else to add to the must see list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a whimsical piece. Retirement is a lovely thing. Hope you both enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...