Sunday 29 October 2023

Doings

Another of those posts where I unashamedly bung together some of my random doings which don't merit a post of their own👻🍄🍁🍂💀

How about starting off with a few photos from a locally organised fungi walk my friend E invited me on. It was all a bit last minute as I had been due to go elsewhere, but my plans were cancelled. The upshot was that I only had my phone with me so the photos are not the best quality. The top ones were a real lilac hue when you saw them with the naked eye, but the colour didn't transfer across.

TYM has now settled well into his new flat in a new town. He's still working for the same people in London, but having secured a recent promotion, he only needs to go in once a week. It's probably just as well because they've just moved office and his commute in is almost two hours long. What this means though is that he spends a lot of time WFH so we've been having some chats about ways of meeting people and making friends. He's got some different things to try out and it's rather spurred me on to shake things up here a bit too. I don't like to get too settled routine wise, but baby steps and all that. This weekend I've been trying my hand at a couple of new veggie recipes. We've enjoyed cheesy crusted squash [I doubled the amount of breadcrumbs] https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/recipe/cheesy-crusted-squash, gingered chickpeas [slow cooker recipe] and flatbreads 140g SR flour [sifted] with 140g natural yogurt and 2 tbsp oil all mixed together and divide the dough into three. Roll out on a floured board and then fry in oil in a pan until each side is golden. Thankfully everything worked out well as I am a reluctant cook at the best of times and it doesn't take much for me to get stroppy in the kitchen😆 The flatbreads were so easy that I might even go wild and make them again. It looks like we're going to be showing TYM how to make them too as they're cheap and he's wanting to expand his repertoire.

As you might just have noticed it's all things Halloween again at the moment. I am always intrigued to see how the food manufacturers jump on the bandwagon in the supermarkets. Going to Tesco is never my most thrilling thing to do so I have made it my mission over the years to find small things which amuse me whilst there. On the journey over a few weeks back I spotted a jogger in full punk gear with a blue Mohican..I kid you not and at 7am on a Saturday morning. How about this for a rather tenuous link to the season. I presume they're pushing the garlic/vampire🧛connection here....I would imagine it will be appearing on the reduced shelf with a yellow sticker by the end of the week!

Like Christmas, this time of year provides a sticky beak like me with the perfect excuse to practise my nosiness. One of the local schools has been holding a Halloween trail near my parents' house so I might have ahem sneaked a couple of pictures before I started work. These are, of course, joined by the obligatory new post box topper. 






It's been many years since I had anything up in the way of decorations of this ilk and never outside because I didn't want to attract any trick or treaters. Sorry folks, but it's my pet hate. Below is my Samhain altar, but I have succumbed and invested in three knitted pumpkins. We found them in a small independent charity shop which was raising money for an animal shelter when we were away and for a few pounds home they came with me.


That's enough chatter from me for today!

Arilx



7 comments:

  1. Great fungi photos. Sussex Wildlife Trust has just had a 7 day beginners guide to fungi which was interesting to receive. Those black garlic offerings look 'most questionable'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just done that fungi course too. Still would love to find a waxcap. Arilx

      Delete
  2. My friends Liz & Al go on an organised fungi walk every year, they are such bizarre looking things (the fungi, not our mates!) and despite only having your phone you've captured them well.
    Liking the sound of your recipe, that vegan book I've got has a very similar recipe for flatbreads which I keep meaning to try.
    Glad TYM is settling into his new life. It's hard making friends as you get older, maybe he needs to start a blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting, but we do tend to go off piste as well. My friend really wanted to go because it was on private land and she wanted to be snouty! Arilx

      Delete
  3. I LOATHE trick or treaters too! My husband refused to go home until the hoardes on our street had left. Luckily, I was SO late home from school that I missed them all, though I saw some walking in the street!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Well done on the new recipe! I am not the most keen of cooks either which is annoying as I do most of the cooking at home! I did make some nice veggie noodles tonight but I'm not hot on following recipes!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a meal that I can prepare in advance and then have ready for when I come home. Leftovers are my favourite! Arilx

      Delete

Getting up to mischief

Isn't it a tad frustrating when you see something you think you'd really enjoy and you can't manage it for a multitude of reason...