Thursday 14 December 2023

Cracking

 Nymans is doing 'The Nutcracker' for its festive theme this year and thus the garden has these toothy wonders spread all over the place. 


These wooden nutcrackers originated in Germany and took many different forms, but the soldier is the one most people will know. They have been very popular since the 19th century with people giving them as gifts. Some say they bring good luck others that the soldier brings protection to your home. Their popularity has spread beyond Seiffen, Saxony where they were first mass produced to beyond their Motherland's borders. I'm sure that a certain ballet by Tchaikovsky will have more than helped and now many homes will have their own festive example. Not here at GBT as I find them a bit sinister...maybe it's those gnashers....ironically the one thing the modern versions can't do is crack nuts😁 








As ever the NT has excelled itself with its Christmas decorations. I actually went last month with my friend E, but have been holding out until now. I have delivered on my promise of keeping all such content restricted to the month in which it rightfully belongs.

Have a cracking weekend.
Arilx


5 comments:

  1. None here either - don't really see the attraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NT really do Xmas well - I might even drag myself to one of our local places next week and see what they've done (I refuse to acknowledge anything to do with the X word until at least the 20th!)
    Saw the Knife Angel today, isn't it wonderful? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my daughter was younger, we began sort of a tradition of giving her a nutcracker figure for Christmas, the ones with the movable mouths. Years after the fact we found out that they freaked her completely out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one who finds them creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you been to see the RHS Glow at Wisley? No Nutcrackers (that we could see - but to be fair it was dark). I didn't realize those soldier things had teeth until you pointed out that's what they are.

    ReplyDelete

Getting up to mischief

Isn't it a tad frustrating when you see something you think you'd really enjoy and you can't manage it for a multitude of reason...