Tuesday 10 January 2023

Headgear

 One of those posts which is perfect for a dreich Tuesday in January. I saw these in the museum in Worthing a few months ago and was delighted by the variety on display. Some are of their time [like that one with the whole bird on it], some will immediately transport you back to a specific point in time [I'm pretty sure that my Mum's bridesmaid wore a very similar style one to that powder blue swimming cap style one back in the 1960s] and some look like they've escaped from a BBC period drama. Myself....well I have a red coachman's hat which is part of the Mythago look when we're not in tatters. Only trouble is that even though I am very fond of my hat, I absolutely loathe wearing things on my head and am therefore, well known in the side for merely carrying it around or even worse leaving it in random places. It's a well trained hat though and always seems to find its way back to me somehow. If I had to choose one to wear I would wear the silver metallic one from the 1920s. That's my favourite era for clothing. Which one would you don?

















Arilx





























15 comments:

  1. I love the red hat with scarf! Classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very elegant isn't it. I could imagine someone like Britt Ekland wearing it back in the day. Arilx

      Delete
  2. F isn't a hat person (except for woolly hats and wide brimmed sun hats) but I expect she would wear any that don't have feathers or look like the turban in the last photo. Oooh - uh huh, really - oh - she says and not the swimming hat, definitely not the swimming hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wore a hat for my sister's first wedding. It kept threatening to blow off my head. It didn't convert me into a hat fan. It's still in the loft somewhere. Arilx

      Delete
  3. what is a coachman's hat anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those pillbox hats with the little net veils. They always struck me as the height of 'fancy', with the white gloves and the seamed stockings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very popular again in the 1980s too. Arilx

      Delete
  5. As my 'outings' are mainly into my back garden, to enjoy the sunshine, birdsong and flowers, I would choose either the very wide-brimmed hat in the first photo, or the straw(?) hat in the photo 4th from the end, to shade my face.
    But you stirred a memory of long ago - my Mum and I were walking together, heads bowed against the stiff breeze, when suddenly Mum shouted, "Ooooh me feathers!" She was wearing a lovely cloche-type hat covered in turquoise feathers - and as we turned a corner, the wind snatched at her hat, tearing the feathers from it. She stood there, vainly clutching her hat with a stream of turquoise feathers blowing away behind her. Me? I was rooted to the spot, in uncontrollable hysterics . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely memory Rambler. I remember my Mum wearing a mustard coloured felt hat back in the early 1970s. Arilx

      Delete
  6. Probably the one that looks like black velvet. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keen on the bird on it if I'm honest. Arilx

      Delete
  7. I rarely leave the house without a hat, I love them! There's a photo of my mum wearing the black version of the red hat on my blog somewhere - after she got tired of it it was relegated to the dressing-up box and me and my brother wore it to play highwaymen. The floral swimming cap confection is the same as she wore for going away on her honeymoon in 1966. That too was a dressing up hat for years!
    The turban looks like Pucci, I think Liz Taylor and Princess Margaret both wore them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered who it was that used to wear the turban. I think it was Princess Margaret that I remembered now that you have reminded me. Arilx

      Delete

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...