Wednesday 6 April 2022

A Demonic Afternoon.

We stopped off and spent a glorious afternoon in the Cotswolds' town of Fairford last week when we were on our short break. It's not a big town, but the disproportionately large parish church of St Mary's shows just how much wealth it made from its wool trade. I knew it had an RAF base, but having done a little research I read that it also probably has the most complete set of medieval stained glass windows in the country. Somehow [heavens only knows how] they escaped being smashed to smithereens during the Reformation. There are 28 in total depicting biblical scenes...below we have that naughty serpent tempting Eve


However, it's the Western window showing the Last Judgement that most visitors make a beeline for. The first picture shows it in all its entirety and then a close up of the light [section of a stained glass window] with all those evil looking devils.





Now you might think that this nightmarish evocation of hell would have been enough to terrify the people into obedience, but apparently not for high above you is this nasty lot of demons bearing down upon your conscience. Even I, in our predominantly secular society, have to say that I wouldn't want to meet any of these characters on a dark night! Someone commented that it put them in mind of the disturbing artwork of Hieronymus Bosch and I have to say that I agree.










Having said all that I think that they are stunning and the use of colour is glorious. I remember admiring a similar palette when I first encountered the work of Marc Chagall in Jerusalem many years ago. The most extraordinary thing is that 550 years separate these pieces of work. The Fairford Windows are now attributed to the Flemish glazier Barnard Flower [d1517] who was the glazier to Henry VII [source Wikipedia]. I don't want to detract from these incredible windows so shall leave it here for today.

Arilx




10 comments:

  1. They are amazing, aren't they? Terrifying people into obedience is still the way in plenty of 'holy' places today. The knowledge of this makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the way of the world in many forms both religious and political. Fanaticism in any form. Arilx

      Delete
  2. What brilliant colors -- and what disturbing yet beautiful images. I can see the Bosch but shall have to investigate Chagall in Jerusalem (I keep seeing the ceiling of the opera house).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I'd ever come across Chagall and it took my breath away. Arilx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. There are also some wonderful Marc Chagall windows in Zürich that I have never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the ones in Zurich. We saw one of his windows in Chichester cathedral a few years ago. Arilx

      Delete
  4. The recesses of human imagination (or mental distress) are populated by some very strange beasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have certainly seen some images and carving which do show mental distress and suffering in amongst all the humorous stuff. Arilx

      Delete
  5. Wow! (Makes a mental note to visit Fairford soon!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's free parking, but I'd suggest it as perhaps part of another trip as it's not very big. Arilx

      Delete

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...