Friday 7 October 2022

Beautiful berries


 Just a quick post from me today to thank everyone for their kind messages. Am glad to say that we are both feeling much better than at the beginning of the week and seem to have caught one of the less harsh strains. The sudden drop in energy levels catches me out, but it's nothing on a par with when I had a bout of proper flu a few years ago. Humphrey has enjoyed the new regime of the staff napping [lap availability is much improved 😸] and sitting down more than is usual [have so enjoyed the Michael Palin series on Iraq over on Channel 5]. I think it will be a few more days yet before I'm back to my normal whizzing about, but as ever I have plenty to do [gently and pacing myself] and it's been a joy to reread "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett which I hadn't read since I was a child [I picked up a copy on a whim when I saw it in one of those converted telephone box book exchanges]. That and "Tom's Midnight Garden" were two of my firm favourites. Earlier in the week I was delighted to see that the cutting of Callicarpa, which my parents gave us last year, has produced its first fabulous of purple berries and just further along the same stretch of fence the Firethorn is dripping in orange ones. They should look quite dramatic side by side in years to come when both bushes have matured💜🧡

Have a great weekend.

Arilx

4 comments:

  1. Nice to have you back and glad you are well. The plant is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. I am definitely getting there, but still at home testing positive at the moment. Arilx

      Delete
  2. Now there is strange coincidence. I haven't thought about the Secret Garden in years and Mr B mentioned it a couple of days ago when we were sitting in a private courtyard/small enclosed garden. There followed some resesrch on Ms Hodgson Burnett. Interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went off and read about her and agree. E Nisbet has a similarly interesting backstory I discovered last week. Arilx

      Delete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...