Monday 25 January 2021

Hunting the Haggis


 [image from Pixabay]

Knowing that my Aberdonian friend, C, will be celebrating Burns Night tonight I asked him a few weeks ago where he got his haggis from as he's lived down South for years......with a twinkle in his eye I was informed that you don't buy a haggis you have to hunt them.....

First you need to find a mountain and then climb to the top of it where the haggises live. Descend slowly in an anticlockwise direction for haggises nearly always come down clockwise. Knowing that their legs are longer on their portside than their starboard size, when you meet one face to face you must blow your whistle and wave your arms at it. This will frighten it and it will try to run down, but overbalance and topple over the mountain side. You can then collect your haggis at your leisure once you make it back down to the bottom. Thinking things through I foresee a couple of problems....Sussex doesn't have any mountains and once in a while you may encounter a haggis that only goes in an anticlockwise direction. In that case you'll have to go hunting in the supermarket instead.

Now surely an 85 year old Scotsman wouldn't have fibbed to me would heπŸ˜‰πŸ˜„


6 comments:

  1. A well-traveled relative once informed me that there is a very good reason why, in the ceremonial caravan of dishes that begins a proper Scots banquet, the tray bearing the Great Haggis is immediately followed by the tray bearing the Great Scotch.
    This relative also has an interesting recipe for clay pigeons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I've ever eaten Haggis was in Scotland and I found it tasted delicious....not very appetising to look at mind you!!
      Arilx

      Delete
  2. I think this is a cultural difference between our worlds. What a story teller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did make me laugh....I couldn't resist turning it into a blog post! Arilx

      Delete
  3. nae, lass~ Any more than my own father would have lied to me about the cows in West Virginia having the legs longer on one side than the other. And in my five year old wisdom, I answered, "That doesn't make sense. What if they want to turn around?"

    ReplyDelete

What Aloicious Did Next

 After laying low for a few months Horsham's spoof artist Aloicious Shaftspole has been up to his tricks again. A 'what three words&...