Tuesday 25 January 2022

Feed the birds

Journeys over into Hampshire to see a friend or when we used to travel to see my in-laws often took us past this village sign. Puttenham is on a busy Surrey road and it's not a place I would have any need to stop in. However, the question has always remained as to whether it was a blackbird [my suspicion] in the middle of it.


It turns out I was right all along. It is a blackbird and it's the symbol of the parish council. Round it are hops because another claim to fame is that it is the only remaining Surrey village producing them on a commercial basis. The sign was the work of a local artist called Pat Willams.


I loved the fact that somebody is taking the trouble to scatter birdseed around the base of the carved bird so that the real feathered variety can be fed during these hard Winter months when natural food is scarce.

Another wander and lots more wonderings....I have some work to do before I post any more!!

Arilx

5 comments:

  1. That's beautiful!
    Did you read the comment Lynette left on my most recent post? Apparently the early Australian settlers missed the song of the blackbirds so much that they had some shipped over from England! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of those 'I'd love to make that' pictures. My brain is chugging into gear now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might not be the most ecologically sound way of ensuring species survival (there are arguments) but we thoroughly approve of feeding the birds and always had several feeders out to cover the options found in our urban space. (All designed to keep Mr T and squirrels out - much to Mr T's displeasure.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing real birds in winter is a treat for us. A little sign spring will come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous sign. I miss feeding the birds. It is not something we can do in town. There are too many feral cats.

    ReplyDelete

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...