Monday 6 February 2023

Slumming it

 Despite some apprehension the trains ran like a dream on Saturday so my meet-up with Lovely Grey in London was able to go ahead. We'd formed a loose plan of what we might do depending on how things were, but had agreed that we would stick to central London. So Kensington High Street it was.....we kicked off with an exhibition about Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response [or ASMR as those in the know prefer to call it] which is basically the goosebumps you get from a series of differing audio or visual stimuli. It's very on trend and of the moment [neither of which you could ever accuse me of being and which frankly always brings out the stroppy rebel in me😁]. I can see the value for some and if it helps people to relax or with their mental health then there's absolutely no harm in it, but it set my teeth on edge from the minute I was exposed to it. If you've never heard of it then please do check out the clips on Youtube and see what you think for yourself. After the excitement of watching someone whispering whilst smoothing out the creases on her bedding [for 25 minutes no less] we both decided that this really wasn't for either of us [each to their own and all that jazz]. Besides we were both in danger of dissolving into naughty giggles [two Essex girls together!!] so we cut our losses and left in search of refreshment.

It goes without saying that we didn't dine here....we were heading for the pub and a much needed pint!

Kensington is a very monied and stylish area. Even the new builds are elegantly presented as below! It always amazes me how poverty and wealth sit cheek by jowl round here. The Grenfell Towers are within spitting distance.


Off one of the side streets were these very jauntily painted homes. I wonder how much one has to part with to purchase one of these in such a prime location. Do you think the neighbours approved of the yellow window frames on the blue one. The white one with the blue plaque was the home of Willie Rushton [comedian and one of the founders of Private Eye] until his death in 1996. I remember him reading Winnie the Pooh for Jackanory when I was a child.







Echoes from the area's past with the barely legible builders ghost sign and the delicious Art Deco details on the former Barkers department store. It was established as a small draper's business in 1870 by John Barker and James Whitehouse, but then expanded rapidly into the huge shop it became. Eventually it was bought out by House of Fraser in 1957 and closed its doors permanently in 2006.






Attention to detail is everywhere from the beautiful font of the underground through to door handle of the modern optician's. Next time I'm up here working I shall make good my escape [Mr GBT only really needs me at the beginning and end of shows to unpack and break down] and have another good nose around on my own to see what other goodies I can turn up.



Having slaked our thirst and sated our appetites we returned for part two of our day which was much more up our alley. 

Arilx

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that exhibition would have been my bag either!
    The pub, the street art and those wonderful architectural details are far more my thing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the unexpected or unfamiliar is as important to me as whatever I've got planned. Arilx

      Delete
  2. Definitely wouldn't be up my street either! I like all the buildings and signs and paintings you saw far more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Others I've spoken to have thought the same but it does appeal to many younger people which is great if it helps them. Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Good Friday

 Hope everyone has a good Easter break. I saw this massive pug shaped egg on one of my recent forays and the utter ridiculousness of it just...