Wednesday 15 February 2023

Up on the Downs

 Knowing I was due to meet my friend Nurse L on Monday I deliberately got there early to give me time to nose around the 12th century church of the Blessed Virgin Mary which sits proud upon the top of the hill overlooking the tiny Sussex village of Clapham.

Outwardly it looks like a fairly typical flint church from around this area leading down to the South Coast. I know it was restored by Sir Gilbert Scott between 1873-4....that'll be a quick pop in, whizz round and straight out then I thought smugly to myself.....think again Mrs GBT!!

There are lots of ancient brasses and tombs inside and even three bells which were cast between 1350-60 by Alan Rous [probably] making them the oldest triple ring in the country. If that wasn't enough to whet my appetite I then came across this monument to Sir William Shelley [same family as the poet who came from near me] who died on 4th January 1549. Aside from its remarkable condition what's of interest is the depiction of Sir William in his hood and coif which is very unusual. He served as a judge in the Court of Common Pleas under Henry VIII. One of his daughters looks like she's dressed as a nun, but it's actually showing she was a widow. 




From an artistic point of view I often find little of interest around the altars in churches, but the backpiece to this one is the very distinctive work of William Morris and was a lovely surprise, being the huge Arts and Crafts fan that I am. It's the four archangels set against tiles featuring vines and grapes. The church notes state that it's only one of three of its type still in its original position. I'm afraid I was so entranced that I got rather carried away taking photos, but thankfully L arrived just in time with her dog Finn to save me from myself and from you having to look at too many!!










We had a walk planned around one of the most reputedly haunted parts of Sussex.....👻👻 Details to follow....

Arilx





9 comments:

  1. Oh my word! Those Morris and Co angels are wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made my heart sing and totally unexpected! Arilx

      Delete
  2. Oooh. Ooooooh. The church was gorgeous, but I need to heat about that trail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put up a post next week...it's not as exciting as it sounds though! Arilx

      Delete
  3. That little church certainly had some hidden gems. I had no idea that some Morris tiles would be used in a tiny flint church.
    I wonder if you walk as far as Chanctonbury Ring???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that the church at nearby Findon also has them, but the parking there is very tricky. I have been up Chanctonbury Ring, but I've never walked out from there. Arilx

      Delete
    2. I thought of Chanctonbury for your haunted desination. Woo

      Delete
  4. That is a really unusual looking church and we love the William Morris. F never knew he did designs for churches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some William Morris too in the church at Findon, but difficult to park there. Arilx

      Delete

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...