Thursday 6 August 2020

Pellucid



"Pellucid"...what on earth does that mean I wondered when I read the unfamiliar word in an article last week. It means clear and is often used in the context of water which would make sense as it was referring to a river. 

That little revelation got me thinking....I am a terror for just skim reading over unfamiliar words these days or making an educated guess. For a couple of days I wrote down every new one I encountered....these are they culled from various books, magazines and crosswords that I dipped my nose into.....scut, asinine,funambulist, kismet, conflagration, ulna, erse, coruscations. Some I have heard of, but never used.

So the new word for today is axilla.....that's armpit to you and me. Perhaps if I paid a little more attention some of these new findings might stick around in my noggin for a little longer!!

Arilx

3 comments:

  1. I read somewhere of how many different words the average person actually uses regularly - it wasn't many and young people are using even less. So many words being lost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a similar experience reading the Edmund Crispin mysteries: my copies of his books now feature a glossary handwritten on the back blank pages.
    (Also gleaned some insight into liturgical music of the English Anglican Church.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea :) I'm the same - gloss of words I don't quite get - might come in useful sometime to actually now what they mean lol

    ReplyDelete

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...