Tuesday 13 July 2021

Set of antlers

 That moment when you're faced with a spare set of antlers knocking about the place and you decide to adopt a "novel" approach to display them... no pretensions of emulating Edward Landseer's "Monarch of the Glen here. No...you mount them on a wooden head and then paint an anatomically correct body to go with it.



How about that for a fantastic piece of early 19th century folkart and, though I say it myself, a rather pleasant change from the taxidermied hunting trophies I'm more accustomed to seeing. This was one of the many treasures I saw on my first visit to the NT's Chastleton House. Vintage Vixen went there recently and the minute I saw it I knew it was my kind of place. It didn't disappoint.

Many apologies for my recent lack of replying to comments...usually I try to respond, but have been darting around or tied up with family stuff of late. Will do better!

Arilx

6 comments:

  1. I loved him! Chastleton is such a treasure trove, I can't wait to go back. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's wonderful isn't he. Made in 1819 apparently. I shall look forwards to seeing your pictures. Arilx

      Delete
  2. I'd rather see this winderful piece-no glory in a mounted head or antlers. I'm pretty apalled by that to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbots Bromley have some super antlers! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they're really old too I believe. One day I shall get there....have driven past the sign a couple of times. Arilx

      Delete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...