Wednesday 18 December 2013

Alternatives To Christmas Pud

I am indifferent to Christmas Pudding and why waste a dessert opportunity eating something that does nothing for you. Life is too short! Thought I'd put up a couple of alternatives that I have done over the years. I'll need to find a new one for next year I think though....

Chrimble Crumble

My crumble mix is 6oz plain flour, 4oz butter, 3tbsp oats and 2oz sugar [soft brown if you've got any] to which I add a haphazard amount of spices depending on what I've got and what I fancy! When I did these I made them in ramekins- a layer of stewed apple followed by a layer of mincemeat [not too thick so you can taste the apple still] and another layer of apple finished off with the crumble topping. Cook 190C until top is golden.

Triple Spiced Ginger Cake

This is the one I'm doing this year. It's actually meant to be eaten cold but is rather scrummy eaten hot with custard. The amounts given make two cakes. Freezes well.

200g butter
200g light brown sugar
200g black treacle
200g golden syrup
2 medium eggs
100ml full fat creme fraiche
400g SR flour
1/4 tsp salt
1tbsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1tsp ground allspice
1tsp ground cinnamon

Place butter, sugar, syrup and treacle in a big pan. Melt over a low heat and then leave to cool for half an hour.

Pre heat oven 150C. Line two loaf tins [2lb ones] with parchment paper.[ leave 5cm at the top]

Whisk eggs and creme fraiche then beat into the syrup mixture.
Sift flour, salt, pepper, spices and stir in syrup mixture. Tip into tins.

Bake 1hr 20mins until glossy and middle springs back.

Enjoy with a non modestly sized glass of something alcoholic!

Arilx

2 comments:

  1. Ooh yummy to both! I do love crumble tho - and Christmassy spiced crumble sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Kim- crumble is my all time favourite!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Marching on

 Well March is being a bit of a madam isn't she. One minute she's teasing us with blue skies and a sun with some warmth in it and th...