Tuesday 18 February 2014

Tottering and Pottering Part One.

Last week I was lucky enough to have a free day so I tottered into town and took the opportunity to potter aound our local museum. It's a free one and I have visited countless times over the years, but this time I was sans enfant and without a deadline to meet so had the chance to have a really good poke about. My little foray has turned up a few interesting snippets methinks.




These are sheep bells. The shepherd was able to tell how the flock was faring from the noise the bells made- he could take appropriate action if the sound indicated that the sheep were distressed.



The round pottery dish in the first photo is a bee feeder. It would have been filled with sugar water and the metal contraption in the second is a sparrow roaster. You must have needed to catch a lot of spadgers to get a decent meal I would imagine.


This rather erm "lovely" figure [I'd call it monstrous myself] is called the Coal Christ and was made by Edward Bainbridge Copnall from coal and resin. Until a few years ago it graced the front of a local church but has now been replaced by this. I think this looks far more welcoming.


More to follow....

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...