Thursday 7 September 2017

The Power To Shock

Sometimes it is the most seemingly innocuous of objects which has the power to shock me. Two examples have come to my attention recently.

St Laurence's in Lurgashall has a huge slab of stone sitting in its porch beneath a broken fragment of an ancient font. It is unremarkable and I thought not worth photographing. Since then I've discovered that this stone could be hired. Why you might wonder. It was used to cover newly dug graves to stop the bodysnatchers from taking the freshly interred corpse and is one of the few surviving Resurrection Stones. How terrifying that must have been for our ancestors having to face not only a bereavement, but equally the very real prospect that callous individuals would attempt to steal the remains of your loved one.

Or how about this one? A damaged comb which I saw a fortnight ago in our local museum.


This everyday item belonged to one John Haigh who is better known as the notorious Acid Bath Murderer.  A serial killer, he murdered and dissolved the bodies of his six victims in sulphuric acid. Although he was convicted in Lewes, he was arrested and charged in Horsham.

Without the historical context both objects would have passed me by unnoticed.

Arilx

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Makes your skin crawl doesn't it. Every once in a while I like to add in a darker type of post!
      Arilx

      Delete

Good Friday

 Hope everyone has a good Easter break. I saw this massive pug shaped egg on one of my recent forays and the utter ridiculousness of it just...