Monday 8 April 2019

Old Snout

With lots of lovely volunteers stepping forwards to help with the recycling I am beginning to feel a lot more in balance again. Once this happens I begin to really notice and appreciate the magic of my everyday life. Yesterday I found my very own dragon. I know not why, but I simply immediately sensed he was to be known as Old Snout.


When I moved in closer to get a better look I discovered that he had the most intricate carvings on his belly. These are not the work of a human hand, but some other wee beastie. Something I think I might have seen before, but I cannot for the life of me recall what was behind it. Perhaps a beetle of some sort. Whatever it was the marks it leaves behind are very beautiful.



Old Snout lives in the South Downs.

Arilx

8 comments:

  1. I think old snout had case of the 'Bark Beetle'. He is rather handsome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I shall stick that name Bark Beetle in the old noggin in the hopes of being able to retrieve it should I see their handiwork again. I knew somebody would be able to put me out of my misery. Arilx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful find Aril, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya. It was a lovely surprise.
      Arilx

      Delete
  3. As I just love trees, this to me is beautiful.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is of course both yours and mine's part of the world too. We truly live in a stunning county.
      Arilx

      Delete
  4. In Australia we have a tree called the Scribbly Gum, with markings under its bark even more definite than those you saw on Old Snout. http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/whatis.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean. They definitely stand out more. Thanks so much for letting me know. I love learning new things about other countries.
      Arilx

      Delete

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...