Our local nature reserve is set within the site of an old mill and mill pond. Having not been fished for 25 years there are always plenty of different birds to see. We caught a glimpse of a cormorant and several herons who were diligently nest building.
There are 3 hides in total- two at the water's edge and one in the middle of the woods which attracts lots of birds that I can identify. This one is probably my favourite- the birds are used to being viewed so are not that shy.
Mr and Mrs Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Long Tailed Tit
Hen Pheasant- I hadn't appreciated just how exquisite their plumage is!
Ooh and most exciting of all for me- my first ever Red Poll
Naturally Captain Quality Management Control dropped in for a surprise visit. He was exceedingly diligent I must say!
And finally this lot- they are a small flock of Hebridian sheep that are kept on site during the winter to graze the wildflower meadow. They will soon be moved to another spot elsewhere in the town once the ground nesting birds start breeding.
Arilx
The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Madfabulous
It was a bit of an overcast rainy day [not surprising really as we were in Wales which is renowned for it] when we paid Plas Newydd House a ...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...











What a lovely place that is! Thanks for sharing your birdie pics - quite a few different species there!
ReplyDelete