Monday 3 March 2014

For Those With A Mary Whitehouse Disposition Please Look Away Now!

I have no wish to offend ......if you do not take offence please do read on.....

There I was sitting in a local hostelry this Saturday just past nursing a small sweet sherry when the phrase "tight as a boiled owl" was mentioned. This I was to discover was a Victorian term meaning intoxicated and of course, knowing my afore mentioned addiction to historical terms and words, has led me to carry out some further extensive research [you know about 10 minutes on google in all]. You may blame my Morris Dancing chums for some of these examples of Victorian sauciness. I shall be returning to my normal Margot Leadbetter type postlets post haste I can assure you!

Lady's Chesticles: 
Cupid's kettledrums, Manuals of Love's Devotion, bubbies [a lady supporting an ample bow window frontage was called a bushel bubby]

Lady's Front Bottom:
Crinkum-crankum, old hat [because often felt], cloven inlet

Buttocks:
Blind Cupid, fleshy orbs

Gentleman's Pintle:
Plugtail [there are many more as you might imagine!]

Gentleman's Clock Weights
Tallywags, whirlygigs, trinkets, twiddle-diddles. gingabobs

Lady of Questionable Morals:
dirty puzzle, bobtail

Gentleman of Questionable Morals:
loose in the haft

Bumping Uglies:
joining giblets, giving a green gown [making her dress grassy]

And if you were unlucky to catch an STD:
Venus's Curse, Flap Dragon.

Arilx



2 comments:

  1. OMG they're hilarious!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad they made you titter!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Big and Little

 Mr GBT looked slight aghast at the long list of things I'd written down for our then upcoming trip to the Midlands....'we're on...